Monday, November 29, 2010

Same Ol' Same Ol'

On Pruitt and Adlin's Personal Life Cycle (Tanner Thompson).

On second reading of this chapter, I couldn't let go of a phrase that I recently heard a design researcher say to me "Once you have a persona, you don't need a new one. People are people, and new technology isn't going to make them any different, it's only going to alter which object they use to carry out the same behavior. My boss can make me go out and check to see if there's anything new, but I'm going to see the same thing: wow, people use their phones instead of their alarm clocks, computers, and newspapers. New object, same action."

So I'm reading this Tanner Thompson persona, and I'm thinking about how it's slightly dated, and how I watched this PARC talk about how teenagers are using 2-4 internet/entertainment devices at the same time now days and how crazy that was and how web designs need to be integrated with the idea that no one will be entirely focused on your page, so non-irritating alarms are being added. And I'm wondering how -even though his goals would remain the same- if Tanner's persona would need an update for more than just to keep the interest of a designer. Hmp. Think. Think. Think. I get back to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment